Your satisfaction and happiness is something that is very important to me. I understand how overwhelming it can be to sell your first house - and it can spiral into quite a mess if not handled correctly. To help you through the process, I've put together 5 simple steps to selling your house:
- Step 1: Decide to Sell -
When you sell, you want to get as much value as you can for your home.
- TIMING. You DON'T want to sell when it's a "buyer's market," when there are too many homes for sale and not enough buyers.
- SEASONALITY. Typically, more homes are sold in spring rather than winter.
- ENHANCE THE APPEAL. There are various ways to do this - it just all depends on the amount of monetary resources avaialable. You can renovate your house by remodelling an area or simply freshin up the walls with a new coat of paint. Even keeping your front lawn tidy can make a big difference. Buyers love seeing green grass and flowers outside because it feels more warm and inviting to them.
- HOME INSPECTIONS. Buyer's will typically ask for a home inspection, so you will impress them if you do this ahead of time. It also gives you a chance to prevent unpleasent surprises and the need to make major repairs.
Now you're ready for the SALE sign!
- Step 2: Hire an Agent -
There are thousands of real estate agents, so how do you chose one that's right for you?
You must pick carefully. They will be acting as your representtive and you want someone who will look out for your best interest. You will need someone that you can trust and who understands what you want.
To find your perfect Realtor:
- Jot down some names and numers that you find on "For Sale" signs.
- Ask friends + family for a recommendation
- Visit one of the local offices in your area
Your Realtor must be a trained professional who knows YOUR area inside out. A great agent is someone who offers you quality services to help you accomplish your goal.
- Step 3: List your Home -
Now that you've found the perfect real estate agent, they will list your home.
- They will value your house and set a price
- A report on market data will be compiled to properly value your home based on the prices in your area.
Once that's done, the agent will market your home through various media outlets and listing sites in order to create a strong buyer interest. They can post on Multiple Listing Service (MLS), social media, blogs, and websites.
There will be open house appointments as well to showcase the potential of your home to various individuals. At this point, Realtors may also suggest to stage the home to help these individuals imagine themselves living in your house.
- Step 4: Receive an Offer -
Not all offers are equal and that’s where your real estate agent comes in. They will help you get to know the terms and conditions regarding the price that the buyer wants to pay, financing conditions, or other things like inclusions and exclusions that the buyer wants to make.
Not only is it about the price of the home, but you have to carefully look at the other details included in the sale. Appliances, chandeliers, or even minor renovations can also be part of the deal. Shorter or longer closing dates can also be specified by the buyer.
If there is something in the offer that doesn’t satisfy you, counter offers or negotiations can also be presented to help get you what you want.
- Step 5: Close the Sale -
There will be closing costs associated with the sale that need to be paid either by or on the closing date.
It can include mortgage application fees, inspections, and legal fees. But once that’s taken care of, you can pass your old keys to the new owners.
You’ve officially sold your house!